|Kyocera Ceramic Chef’s Knife||4.1||Check Price||Read More|
|Cuisinart Elements Ceramic Knife Block Set||4.4||Check Price||Read More|
|Voov Professional Pure Ceramic Knife Set||4.6||Check Price||Read More|
|Jeslon Ceramic Knife Set||4.0||Check Price||Read More|
|Cook N Home Ceramic Knife Set||4.2||Check Price||Read More|
|Wacool Ceramic Knife Set||4.2||Check Price||Read More|
|Kitchen Emperor Ceramic Chef Knife||4.0||Check Price||Read More|
|Quellance Ceramic Knife Set||4.6||Check Price||Read More|
|VOS Ceramic Knife||4.2||Check Price||Read More|
You may have heard ceramic knives never dull. They also come in a wide variety of styles to suit any type of food preparation. While there is some truth to these statements, there is a lot that you need to know before buying a ceramic knife.
Made from durable zirconium oxide, ceramic knives are harder than steel knives, but they do need occasional sharpening. There are also many other details to think about when shopping for the best ceramic knife.
Here is everything you need to know about these knives, including our top recommendations.
- The Anatomy of a Quality Ceramic Knife
- Type of ceramic coating: Solid Ceramic vs Ceramic Coated Knives
- Can You Sharpen Ceramic Knives Without Breaking Them?
- How We Selected the Best Ceramic Knife
- The Top 9 Ceramic Knives and Knife Sets
- Conclusion – Which Ceramic Knife Should You Get?
The Anatomy of a Quality Ceramic Knife
When you typically shop for knives, the most important decision is the type of blade, including the material and construction process. With ceramic knives, you already know what type of material you want. The other features to focus on include:
- The length of the blade
- The type of handle
- Overall value
- Type of ceramic coating
The Length Of The Blade
You should first think of how you plan to use the knife, as this helps you determine what length you need. The 8-inch knives are the most versatile and suitable for almost any kitchen task. With a 10-inch knife, the extra length allows you to cut through larger cuts of meat.
The smaller knives offer more agility, letting you cut around objects. However, a shorter knife makes it difficult to work with larger foods.
Instead of purchasing a single knife, there are also many ceramic sets that include multiple knives of varying lengths. They typically come with a knife block, allowing you to easily store your knives.
The Type Of Handle
The next consideration is the type of handle. Most knives feature handles made from synthetic materials. Plastic handles are more affordable and more prone to cracking, breaking, or becoming loose.
Other options include wood handles and metal handles. Unless the handle is made from antibacterial wood, such as pakkawood, there is a greater risk of mildew and bacterial growth. Metal handles are the most durable and sanitary option, but they tend to cost a little more.
The overall value of the knife or set of knives is also an important factor in choosing the best product. You tend to get what you pay for. If you spend a little extra on a knife, it should provide more years of use.
Type of ceramic coating: Solid Ceramic vs Ceramic Coated Knives
There are two primary categories of ceramic knives – solid ceramic and ceramic coated. Most ceramic knives are made from zirconium oxide. The best ceramic knife should feature solid ceramic construction, as it ensures that you enjoy all of the benefits that ceramic knives provide.
Ceramic knives are widely considered the most durable kitchen knives. Mineral hardness is rated using the Mohs’ scale. Ceramic knives tend to score between 8.2 and 8.5 on this scale. Stainless steel is typically 5 to 6 Mohs while diamonds are 10 Mohs.
The hard material helps the blade remain sharp longer. It does not dull quickly when used repeatedly to cut tough foods. However, ceramic is also brittle. It can break easily when dropped or if you try to bend the blade too much, as they are not flexible.
A ceramic coated knife is typically made from stainless steel and features a nonstick ceramic coating. While these knives are easy to clean and a little more flexible compared to solid ceramic knives, they are not as durable. They require sharpening more frequently and may not last as long.
Can You Sharpen Ceramic Knives Without Breaking Them?
Ceramic knives are often marketed as the knives that stay sharp. Ceramic can remain sharp longer compared to many other materials, but it eventually dulls.
If you want to know how to sharpen ceramic knives, you need to understand the challenges of dealing with the ceramic material. Ceramic is an incredibly hard material. Regular knife sharpeners may not work, as the sharpening material needs to be harder than the blade.
Regular honing rods may not work either, for the same reasons. As a hard material, diamonds are about the only option for sharpening ceramic blades. They require special sharpeners that are designed with the intention of sharpening the zirconium oxide material.
Besides using caution when sharpening a ceramic knife, additional maintenance and care are needed to protect the ceramic blade. These knives should always get stored in protective sheaths or blocks. They should also be washed by hand to avoid chipping the blade in the dishwasher.
How We Selected the Best Ceramic Knife
When shopping for ceramic knives, we recommend that you avoid ceramic-coated knives. They are more flexible but do not stay sharp as long. Luckily, all the knives we chose are solid ceramic.
Besides the composition of the blades, we looked at several features to find the best ceramic knife. We examined the blade length, number of knives, accessories, price, and customer rating.
|PRODUCT||LENGTH||NO. OF KNIVES||ACCESSORIES||RATING||PRICE|
|Kyocera Ceramic Chef’s Knife||8″||1||None||4.1||$$$|
|Cuisinart Elements Ceramic Knife Set||3″ – 7″||5||Knife block||4.4||$$|
|Voov Professional Pure Ceramic Knife Set||4″ – 7″||4||Sheaths, cutting board||4.6||$$|
|Jeslon Ceramic Knife Set||3″ – 6″||4||Sheaths, peeler||4.0||$$|
|Cook N Home Ceramic Knife Set||3″ – 6″||4||Sheaths, peeler||4.2||$|
|Wacool Ceramic Knife Set||3″ – 6″||3||Sheaths||4.2||$|
|Kitchen Emperor Ceramic Chef Knife||8″||1||Sheath||4.0||$$|
|Quellance Ceramic Knife Set||3″ – 6″||3||Sheaths, peeler||4.6||$|
|VOS Ceramic Knife||4″||1||Sheath||4.2||$|
The Top 9 Ceramic Knives and Knife Sets
To help narrow your search, we found 9 of the best ceramic knives and knife sets. All 9 products feature solid ceramic blades, instead of ceramic coating, ensuring that you get a durable knife.
Check out the following ceramic knife reviews to find the right knife for your cutlery collection.
- 8-inch knife
- Proprietary zirconia material
- Dishwasher safe
The Kyocera FK-200WH BK Revolution is an 8-inch knife with a white blade and black handle. It makes the top of the list, thanks to the superior craftsmanship that goes into these knives. A proprietary zirconia material is used to produce these pure ceramic blades.It is a lightweight knife made in Japan.
Kyocera has become a major name in the cutlery industry since they started manufacturing ceramic knives in 1984. The formula that they use produces a very dense ceramic material, which results in a stronger blade.
The manufacturer recommends this knife for a wide variety of kitchen tasks, including prepping fruits and vegetables or cutting boneless fish and meat.
Like all ceramic knives, it should not be used for deboning, carving, or cutting hard meats and foods. Bone and other hard surfaces may chip the blade.
- The proprietary zirconia used in the blades produces a denser material. These blades are stronger and hold their edge longer.
- The 8-inch length and tall blade make this ceramic blade more versatile compared to other options, allowing you to cut, chop, mince, and dice a variety of foods.
- This knife arrives razor sharp, so you can start cutting or chopping right away without sharpening.
- Despite the size of the knife, it is incredibly lightweight. It weighs just a few ounces.
- The knife has a contoured handle, making it easier to maintain a firm grip on the knife.
- This knife doesn’t come with any accessories. While you don’t get a sheath to protect the knife, it’s still one of the highest quality knives available.
- The cost of the knife may be more than some people want to spend on a single knife. With the extra cost, you get a blade that should last longer and not require as much sharpening.
Kyocera also produces a couple of other great ceramic products, including the Kyocera KB5PCSET Bamboo Knife Block Set. It comes with four ceramic knives and a thick bamboo block. The knives feature the same zirconia material used in the 8-inch knife while the bamboo block contains rubber feet to keep the block in place on your counter.
Another option is the Kyocera Revolution Series Paring and Santoku Knife Set. It includes a 5.5-inch Santoku knife, which is a useful general-purpose knife. The 3-inch paring knife is commonly used for mincing and peeling. When used properly this small knife may last years without requiring sharpening.
- 6-piece knife block set
- Ergonomic design
Cuisinart is a trusted kitchenware company, known for offering the best value, which is what you get with this 6-piece knife set. The 6 ceramic knives are of varying lengths, from the 3-inch paring knife to the 7-inch serrated bread knife.
It’s a colorful set. Each of the 6 knives has a different colored handle, which is made of a synthetic material. It’s also ergonomically designed to provide better comfort and stability when cutting or chopping vegetables.
Like most ceramic knives, the blades can break or chip when cutting through tough food. To increase the life of the knives, never use them to cut through meat that contains bones. These knives should be hand-washed, instead of risking damage in the dishwasher.
- This set is backed with a five-year limited warranty against defects. Keep in mind that this doesn’t cover breakage from dropping or mishandling the knife.
- While the handles are plastic, they are incredibly hard and durable. The material provides a good grip and doesn’t feel slick or rubbery.
- The included knife block doesn’t take up a lot of space on the counter. You can easily store this set just about anywhere. It’s just 14-inches tall, with the knives in their slot.
- The serrated blades are only sharpened on one side, which makes it awkward to cut with your left hand.
- 5-piece knife block set
- With individual knife sheath
- With cutting board
- Zirconium dioxide material
- Ergonomic Handle
This well-rounded set is equipped with several useful accessories. You get 4 pure ceramic knives, a knife block, sheaths, and a cutting board. The knives include a 7-inch chef’s knife, 6-inch serrated knife, 5-inch Santoku knife, and a 4-inch paring knife.
The blades are 100% ceramic. Like all the ceramic knives reviewed, it is not made with a ceramic coating. The blades are created from dense zirconium dioxide.
- The handles are contoured for a better grip. They are also long, which gives the knives more balance and stability, keeping the knife from slipping from your hand.
- The knife block is really a cylindrical holder, but it provides the perfect storage spot for the knives. The holder is heavy, which helps keep it from tipping. It also provides more room for adding a few extra knives to your collection.
- The 5-inch Santoku knife features a Granton edge, which has indentions. These indentions create air bubbles as you cut, allowing you to work with tougher foods.
- The knives are razor sharp. They can cut through just about anything. Just remember that they can still get chipped when cutting around the bone.
- There have been a couple of reports of customers getting identical knives instead of four different knives. If this occurs, it’s typically easy to contact the seller to resolve the issue.
- 5-piece ceramic knife set
- With protective sheath and peeler
- Ergonomic design handle
The Jeslon Ceramic Knife Set provides a selection of knives for performing just about any kitchen task. You get a 6-inch bread knife, 5-inch chef’s knife, 4-inch utility knife, and a 3-inch fruit knife. It also comes with a peeler.
Each knife has its own protective sheath. They fit snugly over the blades, protecting against accidental chipping.
The handles are made from thick plastic and shaped for optimal comfort. They also feature a unique design, with a cutout in the center. With this cutout, you can hang the knives from a rack.
This is another great value, as you get a good selection of knives and protective sheaths at a decent price.
- The main advantage of this set is the value. It costs a little less compared to some of the top recommendations.
- These blades are extremely sharp and ready for use. They should last for quite a while before you need to sharpen them for the first time.
- The plastic handles are soft, comfortable, and built to last. The ABS plastic should never break or loosen from the blade.
- The blades can stain easily when cutting acidic fruits. Luckily, you can remove the stains by soaking the knives in dish soap.
- 9-piece set
- With sheaths and a peeler
- Comes in different colors
The 9-piece set from Cook N Home includes four knives with sheaths and a peeler. The knives are razor sharp and made from 100% ceramic. This is one of the more affordable sets and includes a typical selection of multipurpose knives.
The blades are white, while the handles are all different colors. You get a 6-inch Santoku knife with a purple handle, 5-inch utility knife with a red handle, a 4-inch fruit knife with an orange handle, and a 3-inch paring knife with a green handle. The sheaths also match the handles.
- The knives are easy to clean, as the blades provide a nearly seamless connection to the blade.
- The handles are comfortable and durable. They have contoured edges, including a rounded hilt, making it easier to maintain a firm grip.
- These knives are inexpensive. You get 4 knives with sheaths at a low price, making this another great value.
- The knives are surprisingly sharp for an inexpensive set of ceramic knives. Be careful to avoid cutting yourself when you first use them.
- While these are ceramic knives, they are not the most durable option. The blades can chip easily compared to some of the higher-end and mid-range ceramic knives.
- 3-piece knife set
- Rust and Odor resistant
- BPA-free sheaths
The Wacool set of knives includes a 6-inch chef’s knife, 5-inch utility knife, and a 4-inch paring knife. You also get a sheath for each knife.
The handles are thick and include an anti-slip design, which means that they are slightly textured. You can choose from a set of knives with black handles or a set with multi-colored handles. The multi-colored option includes green, orange, and blue handles.
- Due to the low cost of these knives, it’s easy to assume that they’ll break easily. However, these are very durable ceramic knives for their price range.
- The blades are taller compared to some of the other options. The extra height of the blade makes it easier to cut thicker foods while maintaining a firm grip.
- Some users may not like the shape of the handles, as they are not ergonomically designed.
- The anti-slip design may collect food debris if not cleaned properly.
- 8-inch knife
- With gift box
- 100% Zirconium oxide
The Kitchen Emperor is an 8-inch chef’s knife. It comes with its own protective sheath and a fancy gift box for storing the knife.
The blade is black and made from 100% zirconium oxide. It’s not a ceramic coated knife. The entire blade is ceramic while the handle is made from durable plastic.
The blade has a pointed tip, slightly rounded edge, and height. The taller blade is useful when cutting large pieces of fruit. It’s also double-edged, which allows you to use it in either hand.
- The Kitchen Emperor features one of the most durable ceramic blades. While it can still break when dropped, it’s less prone to chipping from improper handling or cutting.
- This item only includes one knife, which limits its value. The knife is great, but there are other sets that include several knives for the same price.
- 3-piece knife set with peeler
- With antioxidant technology
The Quellance Ceramic Knife Set includes the standard selection of kitchen knives. With this set, you receive a 6-inch chef’s knife, a 4-inch utility knife, and a paring knife. Each knife has its own matching sheath.
Besides knives, you also get a peeler. It’s a regular vegetable peeler, made from the same strong plastic used for the handles on the knives. The addition of the peeler adds to the overall value of this quality knife set.
The advanced ceramic blade does not absorb food elements making it easy to clean.
- The knives are double-edged, which lets you switch hands. Left-handed people may appreciate the design of these knives.
- The protective sheaths provide a tight fit, preventing them from accidentally slipping off in storage.
- The handles are not entirely comfortable. They have a smooth finish and slight curve, but they are not molded to the shape of the average hand.
If you want to try just one QUELLANCE knife, instead of buying a whole set, the company sells individual knives. The QUELLANCE 6-Inch Ceramic Chef Knife with Sheath Cover is an affordable way to test out the quality of these knives.
- 8-inch knife
- Rust-proof blade
If you are looking for a ceramic chef knife, you should definitely consider the VOS Ceramic Chef Knife. This 8-inch ceramic knife with rust-proof blade is lightweight. This gives you more control on your slices.
Aside form the chef knife, you can also get the VOS paring knife with sheath cover. It’s a 4-inch ceramic knife with zirconia ceramic blade. Its sharp edges allows you to effortlessly cut, slice, and dice vegetables and fruits.
The VOS ceramic knives have white blades and neon green handles. The paring knife only has a protective sheath while the chef knife has a sheath cover box and a cookbook.
Their handles are made from plastic and don’t have a textured surface. To prevent slipping, there are several small dimples near the shank. The handles also have gentle curves, which makes them a little easier to hold.
Since the blades are resistant to rust, acids, and oils, they will not leave any odd taste or odor on your food. The VOS paring knife also comes with a lifetime warranty while the chef knife has a 30-day money back guarantee.
- This is one of the least expensive ways to test out the benefits of ceramic knives for yourself.
- You only get one knife, which means you cannot fully explore the uses of ceramic knives without purchasing a few larger ones.
Conclusion – Which Ceramic Knife Should You Get?
Ceramic knives do not remain sharp for a lifetime. Can ceramic knives be sharpened? Yes, you can sharpen a ceramic knife, but there are precautions that you need to take. Only use sharpeners that are designed for sharpening ceramic blades. You also need to avoid cutting anything that still has a bone.
For those who want recommendations, we suggest the Kyocera Ceramic Chef’s Knife. It’s the most durable knife in this comparison. With proper care, it may last a lifetime. The 8-inch length also makes it versatile, allowing you to get a lot of use out of it.
If you want the best value, the Cuisinart Knife Block Set is a top choice. It is a reasonably priced set with quality ceramic knives, which have features that you are looking for in the best ceramic knife set.